This building has gone by many different names during its history:
Schichtmeisterhaus - altes Schichtmeisterhaus - Hüttenschänke - Huthaus - Knappschaftshaus - Gasthaus.
It was originally the residence of the Saigerhütte owner and of the Master Assayer. At that time, there was already a ridge turret with two bells. The smaller one rang to signal the start (4am) and end (6pm) of the daily shift. The larger bell would only be rung in case of fire.
Since the beginning of the 17th century, the east gable of the building has been adorned by a large clock which strikes the hour.
When it was sold to Prince Elector Augustus in 1567, the Hüttenschänke was valued at 1,200 thalers, a price that even exceeded that fetched by the Faktorei (Factor’s House).
After the reconstruction of the smelting works in 1586/87 and the building of a new house for the Master Assayer, it served as a tavern.
In 1813, during the war of liberation against Napoleonic France, Austrian troops passing through used the dial of the clock for target practice.
From 1851 onwards, the licensees leased the tavern.
After the Saxon state government sold the Saigerhütte to F. A. Lange in 1873, the rooms on the ground floor were turned into a canteen for the company workforce. The upper floor was converted into a casino for the office staff.
During the GDR era, there was a restaurant in the building.
Since October 1997, the Hüttenschänke and the Haus des Anrichters (Assayer’s House) together have constituted the „Hotel Saigerhütte“.