Hüttenschule (Smelting works school)
Until the 16th century, there were few schools in rural areas. Influenced by the Reformation in his region, Prince Elector Augustus of Saxony ordered the expansion of the school system, and the foundation of the school at the smelting works may have been a result of this.
In the forced sale to Prince Elector Augustus in 1567, the building was listed in the inventory as a cattle shed. When the Saigerhütte was rebuilt in 1586, a school may have been founded at the same time. The 1589 accounts book provides a clue to this.
A teacher was named for the first time in 1592 – Melchior Teucher from Katharinenberg. The first schoolmaster at Saigerhütte Grünthal was Christian Schmidt, from 1636 to 1689. In his 1639 calendar, which he uses as a diary, he describes the atrocities of the Thirty Years War.
In 1606, the school building was listed as “the old cattle shed, where the teacher lives”. In those days, it was customary for the teacher’s home to be used for lessons.
The advantage of a separate school at the smelting works was that parents did not have to pay school fees and that the administration maintained the school building and provided firewood.
Zimmerhaus/ Fleischbank (Carpentry / Butcher’s stall)
The carpentry building also included the butcher’s stall. Among the privileges granted was the right to slaughter animals tax-free and to distribute the meat among the workers at reduced prices. The butcher’s stall was linked to the Hüttenschänke tavern.
In the years 1612-14, there was talk of a new carpentry as part of a range of building measures. Between 1618 and 1620, conversion work was carried out on the Lower Gate. Since then, the schoolhouse, carpentry and gatehouse have all been in the same building as the Lower Gate.
The school and attached carpentry went up in flames twice, once during the Thirty Years War in 1646 and again in 1675.
Following privatisation in 1873, the carpentry was used as a carriage shed. Stables were installed in 1946, followed by a preparation kitchen for the VEB Blechwalzwerk staff canteen (then the Hüttenschänke tavern).
Further information about the Saigerhütte heritage site