Visitors gain an insight into the technology, history and social structure of a centuries-old metallurgical plant.
On display in the former copper store are archaeological finds, historical exhibits and models depicting both the development of the smelting works and the liquation process.
In the Kupferhammer shed, which is a fully functioning hammer mill, the Hammerknecht (hammersmith) recounts the story of the Saigerhütte and explains how the six-hundredweight Breithammer (Broad Hammer) works.
At the original location of the Lange Hütte (of which only the foundations remain), kilns, hearths and a crushing mill give an idea of the sheer scale of the smelting operation.
Since 1620, the building ensemble of school house, room house and guard house with the lower gate exists.
In the Arbeiterwohnhaus (worker’s cottage), visitors can learn more about the way of life of the metallurgical workers in the period around 1900.
The former Treibehaus has undergone extensive refurbishment and is now used as a multi-purpose hall for municipal, private and commercial events.
The Hüttenteich pond with its local history and nature trail is the perfect place to explore, linger and relax.
You will find further historic buildings in and around the Saigerhütte Grünthal:
- Laube des Faktors (Factor’s summerhouse)
- Hüttenschänke (tavern) und Haus des Anrichters (Assayer’s House) - now the Hotel Saigerhütte
- Elektroenergiezentrale (Kraftzentrale) (electric power station)
- Hüttenmühle (flour mill) und Försterhaus (Forester’s House)
- Herrenhaus - Faktorei (Mansion / Factor’s House)
- Alte Faktorei (former Factor’s House)
- Unteres Tor / Westtor (Lower Gate / West Gate)
- Haus des Richters Lange (House of Judge Lange)
- Beamtenkegelbahn (bowling alley for office staff)
- Oberes Tor / Osttor (Upper Gate / East Gate)
- Hüttenpforte (entrance to the compound)
- Neuhammer (New Hammer)
- Brauhaus (brewery)
- Garhaus (finishing shed) - now Pulsschlag Bike+Sport
- Hüttenschmiede (smithy)
- Großhammer (Great Hammer)
- Zollhaus (tollhouse)
- Kohlhaus (coalhouse) - now a bowling alley
- Ringmauer (perimeter wall)
- Flöha- / Doppelhammer (Flöha/Double Hammer)
- Walzgerüst (rolling mill)
- Stall (stable) - now part of the Hotel Saigerhütte
- Scheune (barn) - now Spiel- und Erlebniswelt "Stockhausen"
- Aufschlagwassergräben (System of water channels)
- Unterer Hüttenteich (Lower Pond)
- Lichthaus (Alte Zentrale) (former electricity station)
- Kutscherhaus (Coachman’s House)
Saigerhütte Grünthal is one element of the Montanregion Erzgebirge (Erzgebirge mining region) joint bid for UNESCO World Heritage status.