A tall rolling mill in front of the New Hammer is the last physical evidence of the iron processing which began in 1947 and was the trademark of the VEB sheet rolling mill until 1991.
Rolling technology was first used in Germany in 1773. It was more cost-effective and produced better-quality results.
The first rolling mill in Grünthal was built in the Doppelhammer (Double Hammer shed) in 1847. The results were so good that a second rolling mill was built by Richard Hartmann in Chemnitz in 1858 on the site of the former Great Hammer on the river Flöha. A further rolling mill was built here in 1903.