There are still remains of the old perimeter wall along An der Natzschung and Rothenthaler Strasse. It was built between 1656 and 1694, at around 1,031 metres in length and approximately 2.83 metres in height, with loopholes and gates, after the Saigerhütte complex was seriously damaged in the Thirty Years War by attacks from Swedish troops.

The hammer sheds, the flour mill and the Garhaus were all outside the walls.

The wall served to protect the inhabitants and workers of the Saigerhütte as well as the buildings and production.