The smelting works school was destroyed by a fire, and when it was rebuilt in 1660, a gatehouse was added. The ground floor was also the way through the Lower Gate. The gatekeeper lived on the top floor.
The gatehouse was demolished in 1856 because the clearance height was too low.
Sächsische Kupfer- und Messingwerke F. A. Lange then built the Lower Gate, also known as the West Gate.
Two brick-built columns bear decorative coats of arms. One contains text on the history of the Saigerhütte, while the other bears the arms of Saxony, albeit upside down. The reason for this is not entirely clear.