The Elektroenergiezentrale (Saigerhütte electricity generating plant) dates back to 1905/06. It was one of the last buildings to be constructed on the site.
Olbernhau was an early adopter of electric power, and Sächsische Kupfer- und Messingwerke followed soon afterwards in 1895/96. A new trench was dug to bring water from Rothenthal. As the capacity of the first electricity station was no longer sufficient after just a few years, the decision was made to construct the new one. Two Francis turbines were used for power generation.
The old steam engine from 1909, which has been restored to working order, was ceremonially fired up on 6th June 2015 as part of the Montane Kulturlandschaft Erzgebirge celebrations. It is an enhancement to the site and is demonstrated on special occasions such as Museumstag (Museum Day), Mühlentag (Mill Day), Tag des offenen Denkmals (Monument Open Day) and the LebensArt lifestyle fair.